Friday, September 18, 2009

JOY

As I put the dishes away the other morning, before anyone else was awake, I began thinking about where my joy and happiness comes from...and if that joy is then being a part of all that I do.

Honestly? No.

Should it? Yes.

Why do I let the laundry, sometimes, pile up? Why do I dread doing the dishes? Why do I look at the table after the kids have eaten with such disdain? Why isn't my bed made each and every day?

The list could go on and on. The answer I come up with is that I am so full of selfishness, that I am not reflecting Christ's joy in my daily tasks. I should instead welcome each and every task as an opportunity to minister to my husband and my family...and this can never be done to perfection...so be careful not to let your house and its cleanliness become an idol.

I am always sure to stay on top of the many things that need to be done around the house. But has my attitude been where it should be?

I may not be angry or impatient when I do a given task. But, is my heart really glorifying God in all that I do? Is it my goal to get things done as fast as they can, when I clean, clean, bake, change a diaper, etc...and because I am so rushed to get things done, am I taking the opportunity to be happy and joyful in each and every chore?

The role of wife and mother is one of long hours and list upon list of things yet to be done. It is tiring to keep a house fit for company....to keep children clean and fed, to keep things tidy and to have meals planned out for dinner.

As a mother of five, I find myself to so task oriented and trying to do things as fast as I can (because there is so much that is to be done!)...I forget what my goal is. To glorify God in ALL things...whether I am eating or drinking, or whatever I am doing! (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Let this passage teach us that we must not let any opportunity pass by without using it as a way to show God to our children and our families.

It's not about cooking for the sake of cooking...or cleaning for the sake of cleanliness....It's about JOY.

As you set out each morning to begin your daily routine...pray that the Holy Spirit helps you keep yourself in check. That your role as wife and mother not overwhelm you to the point of sinfulness.

It's not about us, and it's ALL about HIM! Let our lives reflect that in all that we do.

1 comment:

Vivian said...

hi... you don't know me at all, but my name is Vivian and I just wanted you to know that I subscribe to your blog. actually, I've been subscribing to your blog for probably longer than a year.

I hope that doesn't freak you out, it would freak me out!

I felt compelled to leave a comment today. You inspire me. You encourage me. Thank you for posting and sharing your life with a complete stranger. I learn as you learn and your struggles make you very real. God bless you and your family!