Tuesday, May 3, 2011

About my Gideon

It has now been nineteen months since the discovery of Gideon's brain tumor...very hard to believe that it has been that long!

I am pleased to say that he will have his last physical therapy session on Monday, May 9th! It has been a long road to recovery for my boy. When I think back to when he first started therapy and wasn't even able to walk, I am overwhelmed by the goodness of God!

Gideon has always looked forward to seeing his therapists....they have become almost family to us. They have been such a large part of our lives for a long time. When we first started, we were going three times a week, to physical, occupational and speech therapy. A few months ago, we were down to just physical therapy, mainly working on his core strength.

If you were to see my boy, you would see a normal, active, rambunctious seven year old. I am so grateful that he is doing so well. Believe me when I say, I have seen many children who see his same therapists who will never get better in the same way that Gideon has. They will have a lifelong struggle to just do basic tasks.I only experienced a glimpse of what it is like to have a child with special needs....and that great affected me and gave me a newfound appreciation for those caring for their disabled children.

I feel that as we prepare to move to a new city and become members of a new church...we are closing a chapter in our lives. In some ways, it is sad, but we are very excited to see what God has in store for our family.

No comments: