Thursday, August 12, 2010

Happy Birthday to my 7 year old boy....I am truly blessed to be your mommy

My precious Gideon...I looked at you tonight, on the eve of your seventh birthday and my heart felt like it was going to overflow with thankfulness that you are still here with us.

I write this with tears welling up in my eyes.

You see, I don't think you have understood the impact of all that has happened to you in the past year.

I know you have heard the story over and over again...that you had a brain tumor that was removed and now you are well. But, it is so much more than that.

When I think back to Halloween night and remember the devastation I felt upon hearing that my little boy was not well.....well, I don't even have the words to describe it.

Upon hearing the news...I couldn't wait to get to you...to hold you and hug you and tell you that it was all going to be okay.

That week before surgery....speaking to your doctor as he showed us pictures of what had to be removed....and as I sat there crying, knowing that I had no choice but to completely trust God with your life...that He would lead the hands of the doctors who would work on you...knowing that if you didn't have the surgery, you wouldn't be here today...and that there was a chance that even with the surgery, you may not have made it.

I remember laying by your bed, holding your hand, singing to you while you slept. I would sing Great is The Faithfulness and The Deep Deep Love of Jesus...and oh how my heart would cry out to God!

The hardest thing I have ever had to do was let you go.

That morning of your surgery, I didn't know if I would ever get MY Gideon back. Daddy and I didn't want to go to sleep that night...so we stayed up with you, playing and hugging and laughing...hoping and praying that this wouldn't be the last time we heard your beautiful laugh or saw your lovely smile.



And here we are...nine months later...and you are celebrating your birthday!

You have worked so hard. It wasn't easy and yet you rarely, if ever, complained. God gave you such perseverance to work through the pain and fatigue...


and you learned how to feed yourself...how to stand and walk again...and you are even golfing! You are running and jumping...laughing and tackling...and we are so proud of you!! When I remember where you were and see where you are now, I can't help but praise God for the way He has healed you.

God has used you to touch so many lives. We don't know what the future holds for you, my dear boy, but our prayer is that God continues to be glorified through you.

Our family will never be the same...and I pray that God continues to draw you to Himself.

Gideon, we love you more than you will ever know!

No comments: