Sunday, September 23, 2007

Holy Discontentment

By Jeffrey Ream

Recently I have become discontent. Discontent with many things. Discontent with the impact I am making on the kingdom of God. Discontent with my relationship with God. Discontent with my own mediocrity I guess.


I can remember being just a kid growing up in Iowa wanting to change the world, not by any other means but for the Lord. That desire has always been in my heart. I guess most of us want to change the world, but very few ever do.


So what is it that seperates those who don't change the world from those who do? Is it circumstance? Is it luck? Is it desire? No! I believe that the greatest hindrance of Christians changing the world is contentment. We become content with where we are at. Churches fail to reach the world and become content to only take care of their own when there is a world out there dying and going to hell. That isn't being judgemental...that is being honest. We must be honest about the situation of the world if we are going to be compelled to dare to reach them. What are they being saved from? Why do they need Christ? Why are they going to want what we have if we are not different?


Holy discontentment. I think it is essential for a passionate Christ follower to have. It is not a negative thing, it is a positive which will help to fuel our aggressive approach to reaching souls for Christ. It should be our prayer that we never grow complacent and content with our call to go into all the world and preach the gospel.



From Worship Blog

No comments: