Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Gideon

A few days ago, the kids and I went grocery shopping.

When we pulled into the garage, I began assigning the kids their jobs. Nolan is in charge of collecting their cups and putting them into the bag to take into the house.

Then, I begin picking up the lightest bags to have them bring into the kitchen for me.

The complaining usually follows.

"Mommy, I don't like jobs!"
"Mommy, it's too heavy!!"
"Mommy, I'm too tired!!!"

I think you get the idea!

But this time, Nolan was handed his bag and ran up the stairs without a word!

Haddon put his arm out to me, and I placed the bag over his wrist!

And Gideon...sweet Gideon, quickly had a look of complete disdain for the task at hand that I can only describe as the most pathetic thing you've ever seen.

"Mommy, I don't like jobs", he said to me.

I bent down to look him in the face...

"Gideon, I really appreciate it when you guys help me bring the groceries in. It isn't a very fun job, but when you help mommy bring in the bags, you are glorifying God by obeying and helping me out!"

He brought his bag up the stairs.

As I remained in the garage, grabbing the diaper bag and Paysie in her carrier, Gideon appeared at my side.

"Mommy, do you have any more jobs for me?" he asked.

"Are you asking me if I need any more help?"

"Yep!"

The look on his face was one of genuine helpfulness. I gave him the diaper bag to carry for me.

"Gideon, that was so nice of you to come down here! You are really being a great helper to me and are really glorifying God right now!"

His face beamed.

"I know! Thank you for saying that mommy!"

And my little 5 year old boy ran up the stairs.

No comments: