Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Best Cole Slaw You'll Ever Make!!


I've never liked cole slaw.  I was always able to tolerate it, but it was never on my list of things I love.

Then I got pregnant with Millie.

I began to crave cole slaw.  I ended up sending John to the store several times over the period of a week for ingredients, because I kept running out of them!

Here is the recipe for a sweet cole slaw that is not overpowered by the mayo or the vinegar, and is quiet perfect!  In my experience, do NOT use olive oil based mayo.  I recently did that, and was not thrilled with the outcome!


 Sweet Cole Slaw


1 head of cabbage, shredded (if you find that your cabbage is really large, I would double the rest of the ingredients!)
2 carrots, peeled and shredded

  • 2/3 cup creamy salad dressing (such as Miracle Whip™)
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup white sugar (you can use up to 1/2 a cup, if you feel it needs it.  I've also used half sugar and half splenda and haven't noticed a difference. I've never made it 100% splenda, but I would think it would work fine with that too.)
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds

First, shred the cabbage.  I like my cole slaw to be a bit chunky, so you can shred it how you like it!  Peel and shred the carrot....I use a cheese grater.

Whisk together the salad dressing, vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, salt, and poppy seeds in a medium bowl; blend thoroughly.  Before pouring it on the cabbage, I recommend tasting it to make sure.  I find that depending on the type of salad dressing or mayo you use, it can change the taste of the mixture...you may need to add a little more vinegar or sugar, depending on your taste!

Pour dressing mixture over coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

1 comment:

Honey said...

This is goooooood coleslaw!