Monday, May 26, 2008

The temptation of Rhubarb

My sister has rhubarb plants alongside their shed. It is about that time of year, when the rhubarb is perfect for the pickin'.

On Saturday, amidst a large family picnic at her house....this is what happened:

My Meme walked into the kitchen where my sister and I were talking.

"Erin," Mem said to her, "I apologize. I did something bad." Her head laid low.

"What Mem?" Erin asked.

"See, I saw your rhubarb. It is perfectly ripe, and I couldn't help myself....so, I picked it....and I know how much you've been looking forward to picking it..."

"Oh, don't worry about it...did you leave me any to pick for myself?" she asked.

"Maybe about three."

"That's okay."

But for some reason, Meme's head remained lowered.

"Meme, what's the matter?" Erin asked.

"I knew I shouldn't pick it...but since I couldn't help myself, I asked Auntie Mary to stand in front of the rhubarb plants, so you wouldn't know I picked them." Meme answered.

"Meme, it's okay (laughing)...it's really not a big deal."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

Then, Meme walked over to the screened door and screamed outside to my aunt Mary who was standing by the shed...

"It's okay Mary....you can move now...I told her what I did!"

Oh my goodness....we were laughing so hard, lol.

No comments: