Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Works for me Wednesday...Rhubarb Crisp!



Do you ever just sit around wondering...what should I do with all of this extra rhubarb?

I know I do!

I've got the recipe for you!! Everyone loves apple crisp, right? Well, what about rhubarb crisp? If you add just the right amount of topping, it cooks into the rhubarb and sweetens it up...and you are left with just the perfect amount of tartness!

Here's what you do....

Wash the rhubarb and get rid of the leaves (that is, if you hand picked it!)

Get out your cutting board and start slicing that baby up! If you have a giant stalk, you might want to cut it down the middle before you slice it. It kind of cuts like celery.

I figure about 6-9 stalks of rhubarb to fill up an 8x11 dish. Take your sliced pieces and place in the dish. Add about 1/2 a cup of water.

Then put it aside.

For the topping, mix up:
1-1/2 cups of sugar
1-1/2 cups of brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
9 Tablespoons of flour
2-1/4 cups oatmeal
1-1/2 cups butter (I use soft margarine)

Mix this together and put on top of the rhubarb. Just spoon it over...it doesn't have to be completely smooth.

Put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. You'll know it's done when it is a bit crispy on top and very bubbly.

ENJOY!!

I just made this a couple days ago...I should have taken a picture, but it disappeared too quickly!

No comments: