Monday, September 1, 2008

17 and pregnant...

I'm sure you've all heard by now that Bristol Palin is 5 months pregnant. It is something that the McCain campaign already knew before deciding on choosing her mother as the VP candidate.

The problem I have is that the media wants this to be a black mark against the McCain/Palin ticket.

I see it differently.

I remember hearing Obama say something that was startling:
“Look, I got two daughters — 9 years old and 6 years old,” he said. “I am going to teach them first about values and morals, but if they make a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby."


I guess it comes down to the Republican ticket choosing life vs the Democratic ticket that feels like a baby is a punishment. In 8 years, we won't be hearing about Obama's oldest daughter being 5 months pregnant...because that child would have been aborted before we ever knew of his or her existence.

Should the unmarried get pregnant? No. But when they make mistakes...like we ALL do...should they get looked down on because they aren't choosing the easy way out?

I'm happy that their daughter is keeping her child. She has a tough road ahead of her, and with her mom being in the public eye and is being scrutinized more than ever, Bristol will definitely feel the effects.

I will continue to pray for our country, the election, the candidates, and a 17 year old girl who has been blessed with a child. All children are a gift from God...regardless of the circumstances. Let's try to remember that.

1 comment:

ForGodsGlory said...

I was happy with Obama's statement about the situation. But I believe we would be naive to think his camp wasn't thinking of every angle to exploit this behind the scenes.