Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Haddon is potty trained!

Yay! Can I please hear a round of applause for my three and a half year old?

I can hear what you are thinking...well, isn't it about time that he be potty trained anyways???

Um, yeah. But you see, the thing is just a couple months ago, he was terrified of the toilet. He was so afraid of even standing up to it.

Just a short week ago, he was happily filling his diapers until they overflowed...and I mean OVERFLOWED! Have you ever held a diaper that weighs 10 pounds?

I have...okay, I exaggerate, but you get the idea.

So last week, as if I didn't have enough on my plate...what, with a newborn eating round the clock, with it being the first week of homeschooling my first grader and kindergartener...I decided to toilet train a child that would really have been completely satisfied living in diapers for the rest of his life.

After day one, I really thought he just wasn't going to get it. The day was filled with accident after accident. I was beginning to run out of underwear for him.

Then, an amazing thing happened. He woke up the next day and something clicked overnight. He didn't have an accident all day! This pattern has continued regularly since! He's even waking up dry! (Folks, in this house, with this boy, that has NEVER happened before!)

If you are wanting to potty train your child...here is a word of advice: Wait until they are ready.

A wise woman once told me this...You can begin toilet training your child at one or two, and they will be completely toilet trained at three, or you can just wait until they are three, and they will be potty trained overnight.

I am more than halfway through with this whole potty training business...and I love being able to say that I have more children that are trained to use the toilet than I have in diapers! That is definitely a first!

2 comments:

Thia said...

That is fantastic!

Cheryl said...

Yeah for Haddon!!! Grammy is very proud. And about the 10lbs of diaper--Mama isn't joking!