Friday, December 21, 2007

The Assembly Interview: A Pastor with a Church in Need


Our good friend Mark felt lead to interview a couple of local pastors. They are all dear friends of ours, and I am happy to have the opportunity to share it with you.

I met a couple of pastors, Charlie Scalf and Adam Fann, at the Southern Baptist Building Bridges Conference a few weeks ago. They pastor a church called TheAssembly Baptist Church in downtown Johnson City, TN. I met them through my good friends John and Shannon Jordan who I have known for several years. I also got to meet the Jordans’ pastor, Reggie, who you will read about below. Reggie was nice enough to buy us all Tom Schreiner’s newest book on baptism.

After spending a few days sitting with and eating with these guys I got to know them a little better. They don’t "look” like your typical Southern Baptist and this intrigued me somewhat, basically, because of the label “Southern Baptist” being attached. I was encouraged to learn of the type of ministry they were doing, but discouraged to
learn that their funding is basically gone.

I had an idea about reaching out for them through blogging. I prayed about it, asked John what he thought and then approached Charlie and Adam with the idea on the final morning of the conference. The idea is somewhat similar to Timmy Brister’s post on another way to support Southern Baptist churches. Needless to say, we were all on board with having an interview and asking that if anyone felt led to help this church out to please do so. What follows is an interview with Pastor Charlie giving more insight to their ministry at The Assembly.


You can read the interview here

No comments: