Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Holiday Recipes #1: Swiss Cheese Green Beans

Since the holidays are arriving fast, I thought that each week, I would share the dishes I make each year!

Here is my all-time favorite green bean dish :) Enjoy!

Swiss Cheese Green Beans

2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 tsp grated onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
48 ounces of italian green beans, drained
1/2 pound swiss cheese (from the deli, not prepackaged, you want REAL cheese)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 Tablespoons melted butter

In a small saute pan, melt 2T butter on low heat. When melted, stir in flour until it is incorporated and pasty. Stir in sour cream until completely melted. Add onion, salt and sugar. In a 7x11 buttered casserole dish, place a layer of beans, and a layer of swiss cheese. Repeat the layers once more. Pour the white sauce all over the top. Saute the bread crumbs in butter and sprinkle over the top of the white sauce. Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes.

This is a recipe that you can make the day before. I would wait to add the sauteed bread crumbs until you are ready to put into the oven. You will have to adjust the cooking time since it will be cold, but it's always nice to prepare ahead of time, instead of running around getting everything done on Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Little ol' Me said...

What a great recipe! I can't wait to try it out.

I had to laugh at your post in my "100" post and giveaway over at ScrapsaDaisy.

I too have four children...and many days it feels like there are 100 of them running around!

GREAT blog Shannon, I'll be back for sure!
Tiffany

Sheena @ Mommy Daddy Blog said...

I'm making green beans tonight and I don't have all the ingredients for your recipe, darn! Do you have a picture? I'm definitely going to try this some time.

Shannon said...

I don't have a picture, but I will have to take one when I make for Thanksgiving! It is sooo yummy!

Someone I know has used sauteed corn flakes for the top crust, but for me, they get too soggy to really enjoy the leftovers...so I stick with the bread crumbs :)