Thursday, March 13, 2008

Broccoli and Cheddar Soup



I am the only one in the house that will eat it. That definitely was no deterrent when it came to what I wanted to eat. I mean, really, what goes better with temperatures in the 70s than soup?

Here is the recipe:

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
1/2 pound fresh broccoli (I used some frozen broccoli too)
1 cup carrots, julienned
salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar


Directions:

Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender (I used a food processor) and puree (you can leave some chunks in there if you prefer that). Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended.

This serves 4.

I doubled it, with plans to freeze some for later :)

ENJOY!!

2 comments:

angela said...

that looks so GOOD!!!! my poor little peanut butter and jelly sandwich today makes me sad now. =(

Shannon said...

Come by and grab a bowl...there's definitely enough left, lol

PB&J is a food group all by itself!