Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Infamous Placenta Story

When Haddon was born, we videotaped his birth. I have recently watched this video, and can I say that I could feel the pain.

There is a funny story on that tape. You see, my parents were able to visit and be here for the birth of Haddon. It was a long week. Each day meant I was that much further away from my due date. It's always fairly depressing when you refer to your due date in the past tense.

The week before Haddon was born, it became a joke about eating the placenta. Yeah, I know, GROSS! Apparently, the hippies used to do it way back when. Nowadays, they just bury it and plant a tree on top of it and use it for fertilizer.

One afternoon, I actually googled "placenta recipes"...just for my dad.

The look on his face was one of pure disgust.

Well, on the videotape, John tapes the full delivery of our third little boy. He then follows him to the bassinet as the nurses wipe him down and clean him up. If you look close, out of the corner of your eye, you can see a nurse walk by with the placenta in a container.

(FYI: it is necessary to examine the placenta and make sure it is fully intact or there can be infection in the uterus)

At this point, my lovely husband makes the comment "Hey, we want to keep that to throw on the bbq".

Nice, real nice.

Laughter ensues from all the nurses as they try to decipher if he is really kidding or not.

Needless to say, it makes for a memorable moment caught on video. I was completely oblivious that this conversation even took place. I was too busy basking in the fact that the pain was gone and all was well with my newest addition.

The reason I tell this oh so hilariously disgusting tale, is because I found something that reminded me of this placenta story.

If only I had known about this 3 years ago.

No comments: