Tuesday, October 28, 2008

PSA for parents of boys

I never had this problem with my two oldest boys. They each have the body type of what I would describe as 'stringbean'.

Then came Haddon. He is a little rounder than his brothers...a bit more robust. He's the kind of kid that has to push his belly in with his hands to properly see which character is on his underwear.

This afternoon, as I was wrapping up our day of school, I began to hear screams from the bathroom.

I wasn't sure what to expect. As I grasped the handle to the bathroom door, I took a deep breath and braced myself for what I was about to find.

I inched the door open to find Haddon sitting on the toilet. All appeared fine...until I looked closer.

The first thing I noticed was that the wall across from him was wet...very wet...with pee. The floor was also wet. His lap had drips on it. His pants were also spotted and the bathroom rugs were also darkened with urine.

Then I looked at his face. He was very sad and afraid that I was going to get upset. I assured him that it was okay, but he was still so sorry that he had made a mess.

You see, the problem was that he forgot to make sure his penis (we're all adults here, right?) was properly placed between his legs, pointing down into the toilet.

Instead, he sat down...and being such a robust little fellow that can't really see if he has proper penis placement (Piper would be so proud!)...and continued to urinate all over the bathroom. I can only imagine the look of horror on poor Haddon's face when the pee started and couldn't be stopped.

So, I urge you all...as parents of boys...be aware to teach your child the 3 P's of going potty: Proper Penis Placement!

(And just in case you were wondering, he doesn't normally sit down to go pee, unless he is also needing to poop...which was the case in the above situation.)

1 comment:

Anna said...

Oh, my poor little buddy. He will have the chant in his head...P P P.