Thursday, September 6, 2007

Baby Training, Day One and Two

Jamison is just about 9 months old. When he is awake, he never sits still. He is always moving. When it is time to pick him up, he squirms and arches his back and will often let out a groan of disapproval.

This has to stop. I want him to be content and quiet while sitting on my lap. Especially since we are taking him to the upcoming Desiring God Conference. I would like to be able to hear the speakers!

Yesterday was day one. It was 4pm. I had just nursed him, so I knew he wasn't hungry, and he was freshly diapered. The other boys were playing nicely, so I knew I would have some time.

I sat on the couch with Jamison facing me. I knew I would have to be consistent and patient and outlast him. I knew there would be some fussing.

I was ready.

I gently put his head down on my chest and said "head down". When his head popped up again, I put his head back down and said it again..."head down". Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

30 minutes later, a little crying, a little fussing, a lot of patience, and a lot of "head down's " later...he was sleeping. This is the child that hates to be held still.

It worked. He even laid on me quietly, sucking on his fingers before he fell asleep...and I didn't even have to hold onto him...he just laid there.

Even now...he is laying on my chest...he just fell asleep again! This time after only 15 minutes. There was no crying or fussing second time around, and not nearly as many "head downs".

Just last week, I was getting leery of his strong will showing face more than normal. Wouldn't it be great to overcome that will before he is even a year old???

No comments: