Monday, September 17, 2007

A new take on an old idea

I used a canvas material that I recently purchased, and I decided I would make a tote bag. Instead of making the usual rectangle, I decided to make it wider at the top. There is a pocket inside, the straps are double sided, and they are also lined. I combined a couple different tote bag styles to make this one.


I like the way it came out. A few mistakes were made on the way, but that is how I learn. It's a good thing I know how to use a seam ripper!



And this is for Teana...it's the inside of the clutch. It's a simple lined inside...nothing fancy. Just enough room to store your essentials.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

You know, that turned out really great. I'm glad that you have the knack to make a pattern your own. I love the material!!! It looks like the ladies on your Christmas list are going to rack up!

You should try your hand at diaper bags and bibs :-)

Shannon said...

I plan to :) My only problem is there aren't enough hours in the day to make it all!

angela said...

I can't believe you make your own patterns!! Can you share this pattern? I love the material!

Shannon said...

All I did was take ordinary tote bag instructions and use it to the shape of the bag I wanted. So I cut out the outside material, the lining, and the inside material in the shape of the bag. It is smaller on the bottom and is straight across. The top is curved and longer.

I can talk you through it, but it is much easier to talk than to type, lol. We should get together and sew sometime!

Shannon said...

oh, and the material was from Walmart...I think 3.96 a yard. For this bag, I barely used half a yard. For the inside lining, I am using flannel receiving blankets that I have no use for. So right now, all the stuff I have made has a blanket that my boys used when they came home from the hospital. It gets to the point where you can have only so many receiving blankets, lol.