Friday, September 7, 2007

Making Baby Food

Before I spend a small fortune buying baby food from the store, I thought to make my own. So I did. The only thing I have to do now is get Jamison to eat it.

If you've never done it, it is so worth it. Just buy whatever fruit is in season, then you peal, core, boil, puree, and freeze. When they are frozen, just empty out the ice cube trays into a ziploc bag, label it with the date and what it is and put it back into the freezer. Whenever baby is hungry, take out however many cubes they might eat and put in microwave for 20 seconds at a time until thawed.

Here are just a few pics of the process. I already made bananas and pears...next are nectarines. I bought them for 65 cents a pound....a lot cheaper than 68 cents for a 6 ounce jar!


Here are the finished nectarines....sharing an ice cube tray with pears:Here I am...Nolan took this picture! I love these aprons!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Ahhh...so you BOIL the fruit before you put it in the ice cube trays. Duh! Why didn't I think of that?!?!?! I just pureed the raw fruit and it never came out good. Oh, if I only had a brain. Thanks for the post. Maybe Ethan's diet will have more home-made food that Mallory's did. :-)