Friday, February 29, 2008

Rare form

That is how I will describe my children to you. They are in rare form today. I say rare because it is very seldom that they display this much sinfulness all in one day.

The day started out great.

I told them we were going to a big yardsale! (consignment sales have started in our area) They were excited, ate breakfast, got dressed, and we packed ourselves into the van.

We had a couple errands to run before we went to the 'big yardsale'. First, we had to pay the electric bill. Okay, done...

Second, we went to John's office to get his check. It was at this time the whining started. "I hate daddy's office...wah wah wah...etc"

Third, we headed over to the bank to deposit above check. The kids thought for sure they would get lollipops and crying erupted when I received nothing but money in our shuttle tube thing (not sure what you call it).

Through all this, I was still aimed at getting to the consignment sale.

We arrived and the kids played with the toys while I looked at the clothing. They were very well behaved while we were there...it was the other children who were present that were climbing all over everything and getting into trouble.

Then it was time to leave. Nolan did NOT want to go. You would think, that out of all the kids, my six year old would be the most controlled. It was obvious that he missed that memo.

I piled the kids back into the car because I had been told that there was yet ANOTHER consignment sale going on just a few miles away.

Off we went.

Upon arrival, the kids looked so obedient all holding onto the stroller. Then they saw the toys. They took off, and I let them. I was standing right by them, so it was okay. But someone was selling a Power Wheels Jeep. You know, one of those motorized cars that kids will literally push and shove at one another to get in the seat. Uh, yeah. That lasted all of 30 seconds and there was more crying and pouting.

I made the executive decision that they all had to hold onto the stroller while mommy finished. Haddon held on. Gideon held on. Jamison was as happy as could be in the stroller. Nolan, on the other hand, decided to voice his opinions in very disrespectful ways.

"Mommy, I HATE clothes!"
"Mommy, I HATE shopping!"
"Mommy, I HATE holding onto the stroller!"
"Mommy, I HATE not having fun!"

The list could go on and on.

Needless to say, once we made it back out to the van, Nolan had a very stern talking to. Because of his behavior, our planned lunch to the McD's playground was cancelled. His requested 'chicken on a stick' from the local Chinese restaurant for dinner, has been cancelled and special treats have been suspended.

We got home, and he was brought straight to his room where major discipline occurred. We went over what was appropriate and inappropriate behavior. What the Bible says about being respectful, loving, and obedient to your mom. And lastly, what the Bible says about how to properly discipline your child. Yes, spankings were very necessary.

He spent the next 10-15 minutes in his bed until I had lunch ready.

All this happened before lunch. I'm not even going to try to get you up to date with the happenings of the last 3 hours. Even I don't have the energy for that.

Suffice it to say, bedtime has been moved up tonight and everyone is going to bed early.

Dare I even try to take them out of the house again???

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

oh what a DAY!!!
ugh.
Sounds somuchNOTfun.
I think you handled it awesome tho!!!!

Stephanie said...

Sorry the kids were bad, but I am SO thankful for parents who discipline their children. It's very rare these days!

Josh said...

Better you than me, all I can say is I'm glad Erin never got her way and that we only have two! You have a great way of writing that really makes it fun to read. Miss you guys.

Josh

Twisted Cinderella said...

Sorry you had such a rough trip out! You handled it much the same way I would have though.

http://everaftermyway.wordpress.com/

Rebecca said...

Shannon -- All moms have days like that! But it sounds like you handled it with grace. Also sounds like you were prayed up! :^)

Dare you take the kids out again? Most certainly. And I'll bet that you don't have a spectacle like that from your little one again anytime soon. Remember that kids are a lot like goats -- they like to know where the fences are and from time to time they'll lean on them, just to see how strong they are.

Joshua 1:9 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go"...even to McDonald's or the local consignment store!