Thursday, November 15, 2007

Our Advent Calendar

One of our Christmas traditions it our advent calendar. We purchased it a couple of years ago from Desiring God. Unfortunately, I don't see it being sold this year, but you can keep checking back to see if they have it again!.

The advent calendar was designed by Noel Piper and is set on burlap. You can see from the picture that each day is assigned a piece of the nativity, starting out with the manger. The last piece, placed on Dec 25th, is baby Jesus.

What is so great about this calendar is that you read the Christmas story each day. On Dec 1st, you read day one. On Dec 2nd, you read day one and day two, etc. By Dec 25th, you have read through the entire Christmas story and have repeated the story every day, all month long!

The kids love it and take turns with who gets to put the pieces on! I bet that any crafty mom could make one with her kids in time for this advent season!

5 comments:

NeedANap2 said...

Thanks for letting me know about the DVD contest.

About the Advent Calendar - I called Desiring God, they are sold out. Apparently, they're re-doing the calendar for next year so there are no more. :( I was very sad, I had even thought ahead (a little) to call and order it. I'm not very crafty but hopefully I can come up with something! :)

Amico Dio said...

This is a great idea! I will have to keep it in mind for next year!

Thanks for sharing. I will draw a winner tomorrow!

Homemaker, MD said...

Hi! what a great blog! Thanks for describing the verses on your advent calendar...I'm creating my advent calendar now and planning the scripture readings...glad to hear how the desiring God one is done!

Unknown said...

Hi - I have the nativity scene from Desiring God too. However, I've lost the story that goes along with it. Although I'm sure we could recreate it - I'd love to get a copy of the original. I've searched online and haven't been able to locate it. Instead I came accross your blog with a picture of it so I knew it was the same one. So... I was wondering if you knew where I could get a copy. Or... maybe you wouldn't mind emailing me a copy!? I'd really appreciate it!

Kenny and Rose said...

@Suzy, I'v just seen the story for the advent calendar on Noel's blog. @Reforming mom... thanks for putting up the picture. i was struggling to imagine how to do it. What are those little wooden things that the people are made from? And did you just buy plastic farm animals? and how do they attach to the burlap? is it velcro?
Rose LLoyd